New Disney Concept Store
DISNEY LAUNCHES ENGLAND’S FIRST NEW GROUND BREAKING STORE IN MILTON KEYNES
The opening of Disney Store Milton Keynes marks the Walt Disney Company UK’s first newly-designed store in England. The high-tech makeover of Disney Store solidifies the retailer’s global leadership in children’s retail and activates the future transformation of its more than 300 locations worldwide. The Milton Keynes store is the third UK opening of 20 newly designed Disney Store locations that will be unveiled across major markets in the United States and Europe in 2010. It follows the opening of the first worldwide store in Montebello, California on 22nd June and the first UK opening in Belfast on 18th August. Featuring groundbreaking technology, interactive storytelling and Disney Store exclusive merchandise, the stores will bring Disney’s most beloved characters to the high street for families to enjoy together.
Guests will have a first look at the many special experiences of the new design and see how technology is integrated throughout the store to create magical moments:
• A unique Opening Ceremony will take place every single day in every Store. One lucky child will be chosen each day to take part in the Opening Ceremony and officially ‘Unlock Imagination’. A giant clock on the What’s New Board will count down to the opening moment by revealing 12 Disney characters. A special appearance by Tinker Bell, spreading her magical pixie dust on the clock, will bring the Store to life as the child turns the key in the Imagination Lock and officially opens the Store. Every child who opens a Store will receive an exclusive gift – a scaled replica of the Imagination Key.
• Six Trees feature unique Disney animation that constantly changes throughout the day. During the Summer, the trees come to life with fresh green leaves to reflect the season whereas in the Autumn, they will turn a rich orange and red, and the leaves will start to fall. Some of Disney’s favourite characters make appearances in the trees – look out for the Buzz Lightyear and Woody-themed trees to celebrate the forthcoming release of Disney/Pixar’s Toy Story 3. Hidden Mickeys have also been subtly inserted into the animation that appears on the Trees.
• Five Disney Princesses make an appearance in the Magic Mirror in the Disney Princess Castle. Belle, Cinderella, Sleeping Beauty, Snow White and Tiana each have their own short stories that they tell when they are brought to life by little princesses in the store. All stories were recorded exclusively for the Disney Store.
• The Disney Skyline that surrounds the perimeter of the Store gives the illusion that you are at the centre of a bigger, more magical world. The Skyline includes landmarks from around the world that have featured in Disney films, such as Big Ben (Peter Pan) and the Notre Dame (Hunchback of Notre Dame). The Disney Skyline features some favourite characters who fly past throughout the day, including Dumbo, Wall-E and Eve, as well as Peter Pan. Look out also for a Mickey Mouse-shaped balloon.
• The Disney Store Theatre houses a giant screen. Children can choose from over 50 clips on the Imagination Station which can then be watched on the screen. They can pick from a selection of their favourite Disney characters and then have a selection of clips to choose from. For example, a Toy Story fan could choose to watch the trailer for Toy Story 3, a clip from one of the three films or one of the songs including ‘You’ve Got a Friend in me’.
• The Disney Store Theatre will also host a number of events. Free events, which will take place most days, include animation classes, storytelling experiences, trivia quizzes and ‘showtime’ - an event in which children can learn to sing and dance like their favourite characters such as Hannah Montana. In addition, the Imagination Parade allows kids to re-enact a Disney parade through the Store. Events are advertised on the electronic What’s New Board in the front window of the store and are approximately 15 minutes long.
• Within the Disney Store Theatre, special occasions will also be celebrated. Children’s birthdays, the birth of a new child or the passing of exams are just some of the celebrations that can be recognised. The child’s name will appear on the giant screen with store-wide celebrations including special music and firework animations in the trees. A free badge or certificate is also given to the child as a keepsake of their special day or achievement.
• At closing time, every day, the sun will set on the Store, as our remaining Guests are wished farewell in the Closing Ceremony. A calming and sparkling way to end the day.
The Grand Opening events for the Milton Keynes Store takes place on 25th September and will feature some Disney favourite characters who will join in with the Opening Ceremony. Mickey and Minnie Mouse will be joined by Paige O’Hara, best known as the voice of Belle in the Oscar winning animated film Beauty and the Beast, released on Blu-Ray and DVD Double Play from 1st November 2010. As well as in store events, Mickey and Minnie Mouse and Belle and the Beast will meet some of their fans throughout the day.
To find a Disney Store, guests can visit www.DisneyStore.co.uk. For more information, please visit. Guests can also become a fan on Facebook www.facebook.com/DisneyStore or follow us on Twitter www.twitter.com/DisneyStore to stay connected to your favorite destination.
About Disney Store
The Disney Store retail chain, which debuted in 1987, is owned and operated by Disney in North America, Europe, and Japan. Disney Store is an affiliate of Disney Consumer Products, the business segment that extends the Disney brand to merchandise. Disney Store carries high-quality products, including exclusive product lines that support and promote Disney's key entertainment initiatives and characters. Disney Store opened its first store in Glendale, California and, in doing so, originated the themed retail business model. There are currently more than 200 Disney Store locations in North America; more than 40 Disney Store locations in Japan; and more than 100 Disney Store locations in the United Kingdom, France, Spain, Italy and Portugal, in addition to an online store, disneystore.co.uk. Each Disney Store location offers a magical shopping experience that can only be delivered by Disney (NYSE: DIS), one of the world's largest and most successful entertainment companies.